Today, I HAVE a cat (!!!), but I'll talk about that more in later posts.
There are a lot of things to think about when preparing to bring an animal into a new home. Like humans need stuff, like a bed, fridge, toilet, etc., so too do pets. It's been a long time since I had a cat and the list of purchases to make before the new arrival even set foot into the house surprised me.
If you're surprising a family member with a cat for Christmas, or bringing a cat into your family at any time of year, make sure you're prepared before they arrive. You have a lot of shopping to do ahead of time so you'll need to think of some good hiding places.
YOUR SHOPPING LIST
- Food bowl
- Water bowl
- Good quality (vet-grade) dry food (good quality, otherwise they risk costly oral health issues down the track)
- Wet food (optional - did you know they generally don't hold any nutritional value, it's all in the - good quality - dry food? Me either!)
- Bed/blanket/somewhere warm to sleep that is their own
- Litter box
- Cat litter
- Cat litter scooper (for scooping out ... you know)
- Grooming brush
- Collar (and if you know what you're calling him/her already, name tag as well!)
- Scratching post (if you don't want your furniture or carpet shredded!), preferably a tall one so that the cat can get a full stretch, which they LOVE
- Toys (cats may sleep a lot, but just like us they do need some mental stimulation, especially when left alone for extended periods. Otherwise MISCHIEF MAY ENSUE.)
Phew! A lot more to think about than you realised, right?
Now you are ready to bring home your new cat.
I'll share how my experience went with you next time!